CWA Board Members and Program Committee Members:
I’m writing to share an exciting summer leadership development opportunity for any promising teens members of the Cleveland Water Alliance may know. Foresight Prep @ Oberlin College (www.foresightprep.org) is an unparalleled pre-college summer program that empowers high schoolers to succeed as students, change-makers and future professionals in sectors that are being shaped by complex, rapidly evolving challenges like climate change, resource scarcity, and poverty. Each two-week seminar will explore the future of its particular topic through the lens of sustainability.
Thanks to generous support from the Cleveland Foundation, scholarships worth up to $3,400 are available to help students from Cuyahoga County participate. . Unique features of the program include:
- Campus life. Live like a college student, rooming with peers in an Oberlin College residence, with current Oberlin students serving as Residential Assistants and mentors;
- Learning from practitioners. Students will move beyond the classroom, interviewing experienced, real world change-makers in business, government and the nonprofit sector.
- Tangible projects, applicable skills. Whether it’s a business plan, food system intervention, or regional planning process for land, energy and water usage, students will contribute to a tangible project, developing college and career-applicable skills for research, analysis, writing and communication.
- Diversity. Students will have the opportunity to meet diverse peers from all over the country (and some internationally).
- Network.2014’s alumni have been working to build an ongoing network to support their education and career paths—and our eager for this summer’s cohort to join their ranks!
Students may apply for one of three, topic-focused seminars: Business: June 21-July 4 Food: July 5-July 18 Essential Resources (includes water): July 19-August 1 The remaining slots are filling quickly—interested students should immediately call or email Tim Jones-Yelvington, Program Manager, at Tim@foresightdesign.org, 773.271.1990. Visit the website (www.foresightprep.org) for more information, and use this link in order to have the application fee waived: http://www.jotform.us/form/43036430512139.